Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Scrappy Rail Fence Quilt Complete



It is all done, and off to a new home! Auction complete. I love how it turned out.




This is my first experience quilting with minky and i think i am going to have to use it again. It made this little quilt go from cute to so warm and cozy and thick!!! So nice i might need one for me!




I had some concerns with how I was going to hand stitch the binding using the minky as backing, but i did not need to be worried. It worked out just fine. I think the only down side to using this stuff is the fluff and fuzz it leaves all over the house when you are cutting and sewing it. Oh my goodness.




I used simple straight lines for quilting. The best was the way the pattern showed through on the back.




Leslie

9 comments:

adayinthelife said...

That is very nice. Makes me want to try my hand at quilting.

Krista said...

It's lovely! Do you have any tips for working with the minky? Did it get stretchy? I'm working on bed quilts for the girls and I know they'll only use them if they're backed in that stuff, and I've been dreading it. But you make it sound easy :)

Angela Nash said...

It looks perfect to snuggle up a little one! I just got some minky a few days ago. Can't wait to try it, too. Did you pin or spray baste?

Alisa said...

it looks good, Leslie! It does look soft and snuggly.

Jenny said...

you read my mind! i just committed to making a quilt for auction for my daughter ballet group and i was thinking to go with rail fence. im so afraid, i throw time and money into a quilt that will raise $25 at auction!! how big is your quilt?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

This turned out beautiful, Leslie! I have not used minky before but I think I should now. This is so nice.

Catherine said...

That minky backing does look so soft and cuddly. I'll have to seek some out. I love the fabric choice for your binding...is it wonderland ?

Mary said...

So pretty and festive and autumnal! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely, you did a great job. I bet the minky is the most loved side of this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)