Thursday, June 2, 2011

Everyday Should Be a Pie Day

Wouldn't that be awesome....? Daily Pie!!

Start with a little homemade cream cheese pie crust.


Add in this perfect mix of strawberries and rhubarb!



Cover in delicious, buttery crumb topping.



Now bake!



I snuck a little taste of all that berry yumminess when it first came out of the oven and i think it was quite possible the best thing i had ever tasted!



But the best part was presenting it to my sweet husband as a offering for our 11th Anniversary, which we celebrated yesterday.


Can you tell that it was well liked? I had never made it before, but upon tasting it he promptly moved it to the top 5 list of amazing foods i make...in his opinion.

How about i share the recipe with you? So you can have a slice of the amazing summery pie!!

Thanks Dana for inspiring me, and helping me with a few quick directions!!!

Anniversary Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

pie crust:

2 sticks Butter, room temp
1 pkg. Cream Cheese, room temp
1 t. Vanilla
2 1/3 c Flour
1/3 c Confectioners Sugar

mix all together well in mixer. Separate into 2 balls. Flatten into discs. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using. Second disc can be frozen and defrosted at another time for another pie. (this crust can also be used for savory dishes, just omit the conf. sugar.)

Fruit:

3 c Strawberry, sliced
5-6 stalks Rhubarb, sliced
2/3 c. Sugar
3 T. Cornstarch

mix all in bowl to combine. Will become juicy and thicken as it sets.

Topping:

1 stick Butter
1 c. Flour
1/2 c. Brown Sugar

mix flour and sugar with cold butter to make a crumb texture.

Heat your oven to 400. Now that you have all the parts ready. slightly roll out the dough. Does not need to be perfect. this is the rustic plan. place in pie plate and press in the bottom and up sides as evenly as possible. Now pour in the fruit mixture and top with crumb topping. Place the pie on a baking sheet with sides and bake for 50-60 minutes. Until your crust is becoming golden as well as the crumb top. Your fruit filling should be bubbling up.

Eat this and enjoy it as much as we did!!!!! It is excellent warm but just as good cold.

adapted from this recipe.



Leslie

17 comments:

tara said...

Nice! My favorite pie!

Krista said...

Oh, YUM! Thank you for the recipe too! I agree, every day should be a pie day.

T.J. said...

Mmmm! I just came from a blog chatting about strawberry shortcake and now I read this?! I'm gonna HAVE to bake something berrylicious tonight for sure!

Just got a little caught up on your blog- kids are looking great and I do adore Delilah's knees, too! I also love love love curried chicken salad- glad to see our palates match up ;)

Oh, and you should know I was totally trying to feel your supportive sewing vibe as I worked to finish Bear's cummerbund and boutonniere. I owe you a huge thanks since they turned out quite cute!!!!! ;)

jlk said...

Pie is delicious. There are very few pies I don't like.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Wow! Now I'd certainly be up for pie on a daily basis! At our wedding, Gavin and I had pies instead of a wedding cake. Apple, peach, blackberry, pecan...YUM. Happy Anniversary to you! :)

Tara Celeste said...

Happy belated anniversary and thanks for the pie crust recipe... I can't wait to try it!

Alisa said...

It looks delicious! Happy anniversary to you. We are also married 11 years (in April.)

Kimberly Tripp said...

oooh yum! Happy Anny!!! I still remember the blessed event like it was yesterday!

Jenn said...

cream cheese pie crust is literally 'to die for'!!!! the pie looks delish!

trish said...

Yu-mmy! :o) That just looks so delicious! :o)
Happy Anniversary. :o)
Sincerely, Trish

Grammie/Mom said...

I'll certainly save the recipe and consider making it. I guess it will have to be soon since this is the season for the berries and rhubarb. Off to make the Pumpkin Pound Cake.

We enjoyed the kids last night. Thanks for asking us.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

now your gonna make me make a strawberry rhubarb pie tomorrow........already got the filling premixed in the freezer, just need to make me some dough!!! MMMMMM

Copper Patch said...

Yuuuum!

Mary said...

Happy aniversary! Whenever I think of strawberry and rhubarb I always think of you and Chris...and I've never even met Chris. :) I'm not sure why that is really.

erica said...

Yum, yum, yum!

Dana said...

looks like he enjoyed the pie! yeah!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

This one sounds so delicious! Gonna have to give it a try this summer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)