Thursday, September 16, 2010

Double Check (sew and tell)



I did it!! I checked off another finish before the baby comes....this baby girl quilt(using Oh Fransson's pattern, inspired by Emily) turned out better than i had hoped.


I had the flimsy finished last week in time for sew and tell...however it took me a little longer to complete the rest of the steps...piecing the back, basting, quilting and binding. You know, all those things that make a bunch of fabric that you cut into tiny pieces a real quilt.


I even gave it the good old wash and dry. I was fighting with myself about this, as usual, but in the end i forced my own hand and it was just fine. Thank goodness for color catchers...i use them even when i probably don't need them, because it makes me feel better. I was worried that the nicey jane fabrics and the osnaburg would shrink differently, but they were surprisingly the same! Hooray!


I quilted it with my standard straight line method using my walking foot and some thread that i had stashed away for just the right project. I used a king tut brand variegated thread that had most of the colors in this quilt and just a hint of pink. This was my first time working with variegated thread and it looks really cool. I like it. I am not sure if you can see it in any of these pictures, you might just have to take my word for it.


Many thanks to my little quilt holder. I chose these pictures, above, because i loved the shadows of her in each shot.

** I wanted to quick share this with all my fellow sew and tellers at amylouwho's. It is finished!! Please look at everyone's projects from this week and give them a little comment love.**
Posted by Picasa

26 comments:

Jodi said...

I love all those flowers (good choice of fabrics) and that it's not the traditional PINK!

Angela Nash said...

It turned out perfect!

jlk said...

It's so cute! I hope you get to use it :)

Dolly said...

That's pretty, Leslie, and has just a touch of the feel of vintage sheets that I know you love.

I remember now that I added osnaburg to a Christmas quilt that I made once. It gives an interesting flavor to the quilt.....a kind of hominess.

This baby's mama is on top of things !

Alisa said...

Leslie - great job! I love it.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! Nice work.

Julia said...

I just love the colors you used! So sweet:)!!

~Julia

Suzanne said...

Very pretty! Love it!

Anne-Marie said...

Oooh, that did come out great. And with just 87 days to go, not a moment too soon =) Fantastic work.

Catherine said...

Those last steps after making the top always take longer than we think sometimes:) I like the straight line quilting, perfect for this layout and really like that you didn't go for the traditional pink for girls. Nice and modern.

Georgia said...

Ooh, it's lovely. I've had a photo in my Flickr favourites for a while now - a cross quilt made with the green and blue Nicey jane fabrics and a linen type fabric as well!

Kimberly said...

Lovely! The Nicey Jane is a great choice.
You are killing me with all your finishes. We are at the same spot in our pregnancy and I don't think I have made a darned thing for the baby!

Delilah said...

This turned out fabulous! Love the quilting you did.

Shontelle said...

Gorgeous! Love it.

Mary said...

Oh it's so beautiful...I adore the fabrics. Well done as always Leslie!

Kristie said...

Beautiful! I just finished a Nicey Jane quilt last night,a dn love the vibrant colors, it is a great fabric line. What did you use for the front sashing? The texture is wonderful.
Visiting from sew and tell.

Laura said...

I am in the middle of a baby girl quilt for a baby due in 56 days so you are much further ahead! Great job!

Nina... said...

Your quilt turned out great! I love how bright and earthy it is.

Lappedamen said...

The quilt is gorgeous. Very pretty fabrics.

Carla said...

Love the fabrics/colors you used. The quilt came out perfect.

Leslie said...

Love the colors. I have two girls and in the last couple months I have embraced some pink items for them, but mostly I gravitate to the nontraditional colors for them. . . But still feminine. Love these color palettes.

P.s. Great name!

Leslie. :)

Quiltstory said...

Hi Leslie, We really want to feature this quilt. I couldn't find your email. Let me know if you are interested. THanks!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, so beautiful! I love your fabric choices!

amylouwhosews said...

Looks great! I do love this fabric line and it looks GREAT with the linen.

Rene' said...

Leslie, your quilt turned out beautifully! I'll bet the variegated thread looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Oh I LOVE it! :) You could really use it even if the little one is a boy, it's to cute not too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)