Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Started and Finished

I have not been around the blog much lately...but i am still visiting all my favorite blogs and working on some projects.

We started school last week and it has been harder than i thought it would be to adjust to a new curriculum and a new schedule, but the naps(for me not them) are helping!!! :o)

Last night in a record binding session, less than 2 hours, i put a a lovely stripey finish on my Cogsmo robot quilt, for the maybe a boy baby. I was waffling a little on how much i liked it as i was putting it together, but as the quilting was coming to an end i started to like it more. I used straight lines throughout following along the seems as well as criss crossing the whole quilt.

I threw it in the wash and dry this morning while we were doing lessons and it came out with all that crinkly goodness you read about in quilty blogland. Out of fear (fear of bleeding colors, shrinking, etc) i don't wash many of my quilts after they are done....but i am learning that that is unfounded....washing and drying is worth it. It looks loved and lived with.


I have also started a crochet blankie for this new little one. Avery keeps joking with me that as long as i finish it before he or she is 1 i am doing good....since Mitchell got his at nearly 6. I can appreciate the kids sense of humor about this! Ave also helped me pick the yarn for the blanket...a soft white sprinkled with yellow and greens. I am almost half way with it and that is saying something!!!


On a side note...today was my birthday. 35. My very nice friend and neighbor made me a mini cookie cake to celebrate. It was a simple average day. Life goes on...we had school and went shopping (with a wee stop on the road for a bad bought of car sickness, Mitchell) i made pizza for dinner and then Avery had her first gymnastics lesson (more about that later). Chris and the kids bought me some fun kitchen stuff from Williams and Sonoma and some really fun metallic sharpies. i am so addicted to those markers. I just wish i could make some real art with them...or just good doodling!
Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

tara said...

Very Happy Birthday.
Great colors in the quilt.

Grammie/Mom said...

Happy Birthday again Sweetie!! I so remember that day/evening. Time really does fly! xoxo

Stephanie Hughes said...

Happy birthday Leslie! Love the quilt and the great colors you used. Steph

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Happy Birthday Leslie!!! : )

Krista said...

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 25 really. The quilt is wonderful as well!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Happy Birthday! It is my birthday on the 8 September too, how funny is that? Many hugs
deb xx

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday, sister! We tried calling but I guess you were out and about.
Love the baby quilt and crocheted blanket. You are cranking these out!

Catherine said...

Happy birthday Leslie!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one a little scared of washing my newly sewn quilts. Maybe I should give it a gonow.

Kris said...

Happy birthday!

jlk said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you took a celebratory nap.

Dee said...

Happy Birthday! Your special days are that way because you spend them with people you love and who love you!

The quilt and baby blanket are just too sweet!

Alisa said...

Happy Birthday Leslie!

I love your quilt! I think you can get your baby blanket finished. Come on, you are half-way already!

Sunshine said...

Love the quilts! Happy Birthday! Are you okay having an average-day birthday? Some people prefer that, others want something special. How does the cookie cake work? I zoomed in, but it just looks like a big and a little cake staked. Where are the cookies? I'm always interested in learning a new type of cake!

Cheers,
Christine :)

Mary said...

Happy birthday to you!! Hope it was the best.

Love the quilt! Binding is such a pain to me--which is why I don't have more completed quilts. :)

Do show more of the crochet blankie.

Vicki said...

beautiful quilt! Happy Birthday!

Dolly said...

Happy, HAPPY birthday, Leslie !

Aren't those quilts great? It always amazes me how the quilting can change a top I'm not sure about, into an "oh, YEAH !"

Can't wait to see the crocheted blankie......bet it won't be long !

Angela Nash said...

Eek - Lag on the blog reading and you miss your friend's birthday! Happy Birthday!

I hope you got to enjoy a few extra naps :)

Kimberly Tripp said...

I love that quilt so much!! I still haven't washed the quilt I made for Zoe. I love it so much I'm afraid something bad will happen in the wash. Also, I tried the shout color catchers with one of Zoe's outfits that I was sure was going to turn everything pink, and they worked like a charm. I used 3 of them in 1 wash :) And, Happy belated Birthday! I have not been blogging or reading blogs, so sorry I missed it!

Amanda Jean said...

happy (very) belated birthday!!! welcome to club 35. :)

Nichole said...

this quilt looks perfect for a baby boy!

and happy belated birthday. :)

Kristin said...

Oh I am loving your boy quilt too. The robots are too cute. I am a huge fan of the crinkle goodness that becomes a quilt once it's washed. I have to say though it is definitely a little daunting to wash the first time as I too fear bleeding colors. :)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Happy belated birthday, and what a fun little quilt! I am just loving perusing your blog this morning! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)