Friday, September 3, 2010

Sew and Tell


A finish is a finish right?


this has been a good couple weeks for Mitchell in the blanket department. This one is just a few pieces he found in the fat quarter bin that he wanted me to do something with. The best part is that the bats and spiders on the front are glow in the dark, so he has it in his bunk every night for a little extra ambience. I somehow feel much more brave about trying new things when the piece is small. SO this time i tried a pinwheel and some free motion quilting. Not my favorite thing to do. I much prefer straight lines.



I thought that i would try out pebble quilting. I am sure, as with all other kinds of quilting techniques, there is a learning curve. Will i try it again? I am not so sure about that, but it was fun to do...despite the broken needle. I was just glad that it was a small piece, thus saving me thread. You ladies out there are not kidding about this kind of quilting eating up your thread like it is goingout of style. I used 2 for sure on this and it is only about 18x18. If you want to see some really awesome pebble quilting check out the video in this link.

**so, you know how it goes. it is sew and tell friday so head over to Amylouwho's and see what all the other ladies made this week. there is some really awesome stuff. Don't forget to tell them how much you love it!!!**


Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Grammie/Mom said...

Just want to tell YOU how much I love yours!


P.S. I know something you don't know yet!

Angela Nash said...

I love pebble quilting! Glad you gave it a try. Those bats and spiders are so fun - that's a perfect boy pinwheel!

Catherine said...

Yes it definitely eats up the cotton that's for sure. I think practice makes perfect when it comes to machine quilting and your rightto start on a small piece.

Colleen said...

Love the fun fabric. The glow in the dark thing is cool. Mitch is a lucky guy!

Now.... who is Mom talking about in that comment?

Emily said...

I think it's cute! I've tried pebble quilting twice, and I really like it. My only issue is that it takes forever and uses SO MUCH thread!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love the look of pebble quilting, but I don't know that I am brave enough to do it yet. So far I am really good at quilting straight lines with my walking foot. But free motion? Not so much.

Karen said...

Yep a finish is a finish. Brave girl tackling the free motion quilting. Everytime I get the fortitude to try it my machine rebels. I take it as a sign and end up doing some straight line, walking foot quilting. Way less strssful for me. Maybe my machine knows something...

jlk said...

My kids would love a glow in the dark quilt! I am too lazy for pebble quilting. I just want to get it done, so I stick with stippling most of the time.

ktquilts said...

Those would be the first spiders that I would like in my house!!! Great job!

Aunt Spicy said...

I think it looks great, and you get extra credit for trying something new! I am always too afraid!

Dolly said...

That was such a cool quilting video that I followed the link last night and forgot to come back here and say "HI !"

so........HI !

Vicki said...

Cute! I haven't tried pebble quilting yet, I think I'm a little scared...

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Kudos for trying new things! I cannot free motion on my domestic machine to save my life. I am always breaking needles and making it look like I cannot control my own hands. Yours looks really good for a first time!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Great work on the quilting. I agree that thread is a precious commodity- especially if you like to quilt with variegated thread.

Unknown said...

Christine, at the cutting edge quilt on my roll has an amazing bubble quilt she did. It must be the new thing to do...check her out.
It's the first day of school tomorrow for most Canadians, one granddaughter in University and all others in high school.

Anonymous said...

It is a great finish. It's always great to try new things and practice your hobby. I think the glow in the dark fabric is really neat!

Rene' said...

Leslie, yes a finish is a finish. I love yours! How fun that the bats and spiders glow in the dark. Way to go with the pebble quilting. I love that look...haven't tried it myself...on my list. Thanks for sharing.

MaryAnne said...

What a cool quilt for a boy! I love the pattern, and the stitching is lovely also. And the glow-in-the-dark aspect of it is is neat too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)