Monday, September 20, 2010

Flea Market Inspriation


Way back in the way backs i won a small layer cake(10 inch squares) of Flea Market Fancy from Rita at Red Pepper Quilts. I have been hanging onto them unwilling to cut into them because i was not sure what i was going to make. Then inspiration came from Rita, who was inspired by Ashley...they both made wonderful quilts with simple FMF squares. Go ahead and take a peek, i will wait right here.

Then, much to my surprise, I found a stack of FMF in my own stash that i had bought at some point and totally forgotten about, all different from the ones Rita gave me. Can you imagine? I managed to cut 2.5" squares from about 22 fabrics, giving me somewhere around 350 squares. These are smaller than what the other ladies worked with but i wanted to maximize what i could get from each of the 10" squares. I am thinking of making a play mat for the baby...using double batting and hand quilting it. Can i make this happen anytime soon? I am sure going to try!!! starting with hanging some batting to get a small inspiration wall going so i don't have to lay things out on my hands and knees.
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Cecily said...

Those two inspiration quilts are awesome! Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Grammie/Mom said...

This quilt will be another amazing work of art! Will you put a square on the back like Ashley did?

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Finding the FMF you didn't remember having must a been a nice surprise. I can't wait to see the play mat you make.

Angela Nash said...

Whoa! Fabulous find in your stash! Can't wait to see the fun playmat you make.

Jodi said...

I was inspired by Rita and Ashley's quilts, too, but can't find the time right now! Can't wait to see yours!

Colleen said...

Go you! I looked at the other quilts and found myself thinking "oh! Leslie likes the gray one. And the green." Which, of course, is obvious, but I was being dumb. Can't wait to see it.

tara said...

oooooh.
Fun finding fabric you forgot you had.

jlk said...

That is such pretty fabric. Have fun making the play mat!

Kris said...

It's going to be beautiful! I love the little baby quilt/play mat idea (but you probably already know I love that size for bitty babes)

Kristen said...

Super jealous! Too fun to find something you never thought you had! It's going to look gorgeous!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Oh that is gonna be fabulous!!!!!

Dee said...

oooooohhhh-can't wait to see this! the pile is inspiring!

Dolly said...

Is FMF the line that has the 'seed' fabric that is so expensive to try to get one's hands on?

Oh, if it is, don't make it a playmat ! It'll be washed a bazillion times and fade all out ! Make it a mid-sized quilt for everyone to share , maybe a tablecover in the baby's room, or a 'special day' quilt.

Yikes, I must want some of that fabric awfully bad.......forgive me new baby !

Emily said...

I am so excited to see this finished product!! I'm in shock that you had FMF fabrics in your stash and didn't know it!! I got into designer fabrics after it went out of print. Be sure to post about your progress on this!

em's scrapbag said...

What a happy fun quilt. Can't wait to see yours.

Sunshine said...

Since both those example quilts look lovely, yours is guaranteed to turn out beautiful!

Nichole said...

those fabrics will make a great play mat!

p.s. i cracked up when i read the button on your page that has a preggo girl saying "i'm so crafty i make people"! ha! that's hilarious! :)

Catherine said...

How wonderful to find thishappy stack in your stash! This will make up to a fun quilt for sure.

randi said...

fmf makes for such cute projects! happy sewing!

Aunt Spicy said...

D-Y-I-N-G!

craftytammie said...

sigh. so jealous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)