Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday Meal


I know, enough already, but here is another one. I still had a few vegetables hanging around from our last weeks CSA box, and i kept asking myself and others(you know i am talking about you Dee), what am i going to do with this swiss chard? It was so pretty i should have stuck it in a vase to enjoy it when we first brought it home. The stalks are a really beautiful soft rainbow of colors...pinks, oranges, reds, greens and almost yellow. But alas it sat in my fridge and looked back at me every time i opened that door, as if to ask me, "well, what are you going to do with me? When are you going to cook with me?"...but honestly i had no idea. But then it came to me,all of a sudden. Quiche!!! It happens that way doesn't it? You have no idea what you are going to make with these strange mystery ingredients, or just any time you have to make dinner, and then it hits you in a flash. SO tonight, i sauted some onion and garlic in a pan with some olive oil, then i threw in the chopped and washed swiss chard until it was wilted and softened. In another bowl i mixed up 5 eggs, 2 and 1/2 cups of half and half(i think i cut that down with some extra milk), dash of nutmeg and salt, whisked that together. I used store bought crust(sorry Mary) and fit it into my pie plates....put the cooked chard on the bottom, sprinkled with some chopped ham and about a cup grated cheddar. I poured the egg mix on and put those bad boys in the oven. Then baked them for 15 minutes at 425 and then turned it down to 325 for another 30-35 minutes, until golden and a knife comes out clean. I made the kids one without the swiss chard, just ham and cheese. They do good at eating veggies but i know when i am pushing my luck and i was able to accommodate them tonight so i did. And thank goodness, they liked it!! This finished off our box for the week, since we ate the rest of our salad along with it.

***fixed!! thanks to my computery husband i got the picture re-posted. Sorry!***

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sorry? I only use store bought crust as well--homemade is not worth the mess in the kitchen. I can't see the yummy photo though...and I heart quiche!

Leslie said...

i have been having trouble with this post since i started it....i guess i jumped to conclusions. However, i will make my own if i have come to own a food processor!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)