Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Craft Books

I love craft books...the pictures are so pretty and the projects look so fun. This makes the books so hard to resist. I really have to fight the urge not to buy them because I have a wee confession. I never have made a project from a single one...until now!!!


I recently bought this book because i was seeing it everywhere in blogland and it looked like it was going to be really good. It is!!!
This is my version of the Folklore Bag. My wonderful friend Allison helped me since this is the first time i have really made a bag the way you should make a bag. Not to mention that this is the first time i have used a pattern in ages, they scare me. Her specialty is several different kinds of totes and purses that incorporate BDU material(camouflage).

She taught me some of her tips and tricks and helped me with pinning and cutting and construction...what a great friend. In return i help her with quilts...it is fun for both of us. I used several different prints from the Ginger Blossoms line of fabric...to include that ginger blossom corduroy i got on clearance at Hobby Lobby a month or so ago.



next i think i am going to try one of the pillows in the book....hope Allison is available to help again.

**i was hoping to have something else to share for sew and tell this week,but i did not quite finish so i am linking back to this post from just a couple days ago. Also a finish for the week! I have been looking at what everyone else has made this week and i am very inspired. There are so many amazing sewers and quilters out there. Go over to Amylouwho's here or click the button on my sidebar to see what everyone else has made.**
Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

jlk said...

I have been eyeing this book myself. I told my husband I want it for Mother's Day. I want to make the little doll house.

nest full of eggs said...

it is a great book, isn't it? cannot wait to see what else you make from it

Grammie/Mom said...

It turned out very nice.

SueWis said...

Love that inside pocket!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

That is one awesome bag, I love it. Didn't you know we don't buy books to make things out of them, we buy them for 'inspiration'!! But this time, you have made a winner.

T.J. said...

the camo immediately caught my eye- love how it's balanced with floral. Awesome job!

Anna said...

nice bag (I'm having bag envy over here) :)

Catherine Anne said...

Love it

Leslie said...

I've always wondered and been interested in that book. One yard wonders are right up my alley. I hope you post more projects.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I love your fabric choice and that camo pocket on the inside sure spices things up a little!

Vicki said...

I cannot tell you how much I love that pocket! What a great idea.

Dee said...

too, too cute!

love the fabric choices!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Great job! I have wanted that book for a long time now- maybe I'll have to break down and buy it!

Allison said...

Love your bag Leslie! You did a great job and I can't wait to see it live! I am game for another project any day! See you next week!

Evelyn said...

It looks like it turned out awesome! Can't wait to see what other projects you do from the book. I have it on reserve at the library, but I'm like number 200 in line or something crazy like that!

Miss said...

oh my gosh...I LOVE these bags! WAY WAY too cute!

if you ever want to do a give away on my blog (or better yet for ME a review!!haha) LET ME KNOW!!

Lesly said...

I have eyed that book longingly - now I might jsut have to get it. Your bag is so nice! Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

She sews and scraps said...

I guess we have the same addiction, I ALWAYS buy idea books/magazines/patterns, all of them are taking over my room!

I LOVE your bag you made, now you are enabling me to buy this book! ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Your bag looks great! I like how you used a couple different fabrics. I have that book as well and think that it is fabulous!

Karen said...

What a great bag. I have also been wondering if I should buy that book. After your favourable comments I just might have to now. Thanks

Kristen said...

It came out very well! I would not have thought of camo. It looks great!!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love me some good GingerBlossom! This book is totally on my Amazon list!

Leigh said...

Wow...that is so cute!! I am making one of those this week. I actually LOVE this book too...so much that I am blogging my way through the entire book. Check it out at http://oneyardwondersonedayatatime.blogspot.com

QuiltyBee said...

Your bag turned out great! I especially like the fabric choices.

Rene' said...

Leslie, really terrific bag! I have that book but have yet to make anything out of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)