Saturday, August 30, 2008

"Eda-mommy"

i love the look that says, what on earth are these? We got edamame in our farm box this week and this was a true first for us. The kids were great little helpers and pulled the fuzzy little bean pods off the stalks with me. I wasted no time, took the directions of the farm, and boiled them in salted and soyed water for about 10 minutes. Once they cooled down a little we snacked on them all night. I think i enjoyed them the most. The kids and Chris thought that they were ok. I was compulsively snacking on them into the next day until i found the beetle...it was in the bag i had stored them in in the fridge overnight. Was this some kind of apocolypse beetle that can survive a full 10 minutes in boiling water? I did not want to know...i got all grossed out and threw the rest away. Sorry farm. The eda-mommy was good while it lasted.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Grammie/Mom said...

I got a kick out of that post! I can see you now discovering the bug. Oh my!

Elizabeth said...

hahaha apocalypse beetle... that's insane

Colleen said...

Yummm... ewwww... UGH!! My thoughts in that order.

Brown Family Blog said...

Oh I LOVE edamames!They are fun to eat out of the pod but I bet the beetle would have been a little disturbing to eat that way...but then again you may have never known and gotten a little extra protein. :o)

Kimberly Tripp said...

having lived in Hawaii for 4 years, I LOVE edamame. I used to just eat them out of the pod, but one lucky day I was using my fingers and found a slug looking thing in one. I always used my fingers after that, of course. I know we have oodlesof farms here, but wish we had one with a set up like yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)