Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bird Paradise

This past week we went on a school field trip to the Berkshire Bird Paradise. It was to reinforce the things we have been learning in science this month. Birds! Birds! Birds! And wow, there was an amazing variety of birds there. We were pleasantly surprised. Avery's life list of birds has grown by leaps and bounds, mine too. These were a few of my favorites. The East African Crowned Crane(i think i got that right) was amazing...it was apparently very threatened by us being there, as it was flapping its wings and making quite a ruckus. We loved every minute of it.
The bird i went there especially to see was the Victorian Crowned Pigeon. It is amazing. The biggest pigeon you have ever seen. It was beautiful.
There were several rescued bald eagles. They are amazing however and wherever you see them, but when you see them close up they are awesome.
I think Lulu the cockatoo was the kids favorite. She talked and danced and was very expressive. She made lots of funny noises and liked to entertain us. This was her best display.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Grammie/Mom said...

The pigeons crown looks very lacy. Thanks for sharing.

Teri said...

Hey Les,
I went back to look where I posted my question about Science, but for some reason couldn't find it. And I forgot to subscribe to the feed, so I'm not sure if you even had a chance to answer. So...here it is my question about the Science curriculum you went with? I'm really curious. I went with Lyrical Life Science as we are studying the body in Classical. But I haven't been too impressed with it. It is a little beyond Sofi I think. I've been picking through it, but doing a lot of supplementing. By they way, how are you liking Story of the WOrld too?

Quincy said...

Awesome! I love birds, Lulu is really cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are awesome!!
We postponed our trip to visit rescued birds of prey until our predator/prey unit. Our bird unit got busy!

Colleen said...

That crowned pigeon is cool. I love the lacy crown.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)