Friday, October 31, 2008

Food For Colleen

It was snowing(yup, in October!!) and chilly out this week, and i was trying to decide what to make for dinner....and then i settled on this, my friend Roisin's homemade tomato soup. Col, i know you asked me for the recipe the other day, I forgot, sorry. So here it goes as best as i can translate my scribbled down recipe.

Tomato Soup

4 can diced tomato, or 2 large ones
1/2 pkg Bacon, chopped
4 lg. Carrot, chopped evenly
4 Celery stalks, chopped evenly
1 lg Onion, chopped
2-3 cans Chicken Broth

Saute the bacon and onions in the stock pot. Once the bacon and onion are well browned and onions are soft add the celery and carrot, sweat about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cover with chicken broth. Bring all to a boil. Once boiling turn down to a simmer and leave to simmer for 1 hour with lid on. Use immersion blender or transfer carefully to a standard blender,blend until all is smooth. Taste, if too tart add a pinch of sugar. Serve with a little splooge of milk(optional). This makes a very large pot. Freeze leftovers in ziploc bags. Be sure to leave out the milk if freezing.

i have made this with turkey bacon before and it works just fine...and i think it browns faster and better. I topped it with some toasted pumpkin seeds and enjoyed.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kimberly Tripp said...

sounds yummy. I'd be eating it for years if I made any, Craig doesn't eat 'that kind of thing'

Brown Family Blog said...

Oh I cant wait to make it. I may omit the bacon though.

Mary said...

Oh snow...how I envy you. I wanted to make tomato soup this weekend too (because we always think alike) but it's almost 80 degrees out. Looks delish.

Colleen said...

A belated thank you. Now I have to go shopping to pick up some bacon. Yum.

Emily Cole said...

Leslie, I just found your blog. I love it! My daughter goes to a Montessori school and we love it there! I have also been looking for a good homemade tomato soup recipe since it's my daughter's favorite soup! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Kiddo's (190) sewing (143) Random (118) family (107) quilting (106) Food (69) activities (69) adventures (63) Recipes (52) Around the House (48) crafts (48) homeschool (45) baby (29) fabric (29) field trips (27) sew and tell (27) friends (21) Chris (19) vacation (18) Farm (16) living lighter (13) giveaway (12) Guest Blogger (11) holiday (10) wordless (10) Life (9) wip wednesday (9) blogging (5) book of days (5) crochet (5) vintage (5) gardening (4) outdoors (4) avery (3) birds (3) books (3) knitting (3) quilt bee blocks (3) link up (2) mosaic (2) summer fun (2) wildlife (2) Market (1) art (1) awards (1) csa (1) decorating (1) furniture (1) modern monday (1) recycle craft (1) swap (1)